Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Alaskan Sunburn and Salmon

We decided to head up to the Russian River for some Salmon fishing.  The day was so bright and sunny.  The sky was a blue that only some people can possibly capture with their cameras.  In the crayola crayon box of 128 I am going to call it cerulean. I take picture after picture trying to capture the sky and the color;  now while explaining the beauty of the sky surrounding me, I feel shallow and speechless.

We packed a nice lunch, sunscreen, and water bottles.  We also brought two large cans of bug spray.  This year in Alaska they had a late spring and the earth under did not thaw quickly therefore pools of water sat on the surface and basically became the ideal mosquito breding ground.  Old timers around the area say this is the worst mosquito hatch in forty years.  For us it means a constant battle of shutting doors quickly, swatting, and cursing the bugs.  I think at this point I can count twenty or more little dots on my legs and ankles.  I feel like I am donating blood every time I leave the comfort of our car or cabin.  So armed with large cans of bug spray we drive off under the smiling sunshine and a clear cerulean sky. 
The Russian River is packed!  We pull off the road and into the lengthy line to a parking lot attendant.  We sit for 20-30 minutes breathing diesel fumes from the four wheel drive trucks and campers on either side of us.  Why don't they shut off their engines?  I have to use the restroom at just the moment we begin to creep forward one car or camper at a time.  There are a few men who get out of vehicles behind us and walk to the front of the line wanting to know what the hold up is?  We sit patiently in our car.  Finally, we are first in line! The young man explains that we can go into the parking area as soon as some one exits because all of the parking spots are full.  I jump out of the car and head for the outhouse.  There is a woman in her 60's that makes it into the single hole outhouse ten seconds before me.  I am now a blood donor again, feeding the hordes of starving mosquitoes as I stand outside in the trees by a pot wishing she would pee faster! She doesn't!! I mean this is a serious situation, my family is waiting at the gate to enter the park and its a two mile hike into the parking area!  I see no way around me walking two miles, at least I will get to use the outhouse first.  Maybe? I am going to look like a welted mess of mosquito bait when I am done with this little side trip.  Honestly, how long can one woman take in an outhouse with no mirrors, no sink, no soap or paper towels?  Well, I will tell you a very long time, seven or eight mosquito bites at least!  I see Doug out of the corner of my eye pay the parking attendant...I know I am probably walking.  Her comes my least favorite person and I do not even know her name I call her Mrs. Slow because I can see her wedding ring as she walks by me.  I see Doug pulling forward and I decide well, at least its a sunny day for a mosquito buffet.  I jet into the bathroom take care of business and rocket out of the door.  A huge smile slides across my face when I see Doug parked off to the side of the road waiting for me.  I do not have to be a mosquito buffet after all. 
We park in the designated spot and unload our gear.  The guys are so excited they decide to leave the cooler in the car, it's not too far Doug announces.  Far is relative when the cooler is heavy and does not have wheels. I know I cannot carry it and will need to come to the car for water and snacks.  During the day I made two trips up to the car, running the six flight of stairs pretending my personal trainer is calling "faster" from behind me.  All of my challenges aside, the sun is shining, I watch four or five people pass us with overloaded stringers of salmon and I quickly calculate our limit and know we will be leaving with nine fish within three hours.  Three hours was the time listed at a local sports warehouse estimated to limiting out!  I can almost taste our dinner.  Oh, the deal is no fish caught means we eat dinner at my favorite brewery St Elia's which makes wood fired pizza's and a perfect Stout!
We set up near a rocky area and watch a few people land two nice salmon.  Also, a few salmon are hooked, but not properly so they must be released. I establish a spot for my lawn chair sit down with my camera in hand. I am looking forward to fresh salmon on the grill as the guys step toward the Russian River. Doug supports his Buddie Paul who has had hip replacement surgeries twice on each hip.  These two have been friends for twenty two years.  I can hear in my mind the song "Lean On Me", playing in my head as they slowly and tentatively navigate to a suitable spot.  Paul is shaky at first. 
 Doug, Paul, and Leo enter the water and two of the three announce that their waders are filling with the icy glacial water.  Doug is pretty vocal "I have multiple leaks."  I wonder out loud how bad can the leaks be?  I will find out six hours later when Doug comes up to take off his waders for the first time.  He stood with icy water rushing into his waders and never complained once!  The thrill of salmon fishing completely overrode any desire for personal comfort. 
The picture above indicates the multiple leaks in Doug's waders...and this is only one leg!  He dumped out his waders and we moved around a couple of times during the day.  Thwarted so far by the salmon!  My dreams of bringing nine salmon home are quickly fading by hour six, but my enthusiasm for the sunny day and perfect weather have not waned.  I have chosen bug spray instead of sunscreen.  I don't like the choice, but sunburn is the lesser of the two issues for me!  My friend Shari has chosen sunscreen on her face and arms then bug spray on her legs and feet.  She is far whiter than I am so she will burn quickly. We each do what is best for us.
Near hour seven the seagulls are starting to mock Doug, Leo, and Paul. The have each had at least one chance at a salmon, but could not land it.  The seagulls are feasting on carcases of already filleted salmon, but it is looking like we will be having pizza.  I have been praying all day that Paul doesn't fall over or slip and his waders fill up with water.  I calculate we will need all of us to get him out of the water and even that may not be enough.  Paul is 6'4" and I am sure weighs in about 245.  I pray again for him to not fall!
Paul slips on a rock and does the worlds slowest ballet turn ever...one inch at a time, trying to recover his balance and get a purchase on the bottom a the river.  He is still upright but still turning 90 degrees, 180 degrees, and 360 degrees: Paul makes a complete circle and maintains his upright status! Whew, that was close, prayers answered! We laugh and make jokes about Paul's ballet skills.
Near the eight hour mark of salmon fishing Paul calls out "fish on," I rush over with my camera, Shari grabs the video camera and we all try to find the net.  Paul has the net and tosses it to Doug who was up taking off his waders and deciding that he could fish with out them better than with them.  We have a fishing net and camera ready.  Paul has a salmon on the line and it's a good fight.  After a couple of minutes Paul lands the salmon and we all go into celebration mode.  We are so thrilled that Shari is video taping and cheering (she was a cheerleader in high school) Paul has caught his first salmon and stayed upright in the river.  This has been a truly good day. 
 




We fish a little longer Paul in his waders, Doug in a pair of Crocks and his jeans.  Leo in leaky waders and every one is so happy.  We decide pizza is still on the menu and start to pack up the gear.  When we reach the car after the six flights of steps we find out it is 8pm!  We have been here for nine hours and Shari is sunburned on her face and I am chewed up from mosquitoes, but everyone of us is talking and happy about the one salmon!  Eighty seven degrees, salmon fishing, how can one day be serene, thrilling, and challenging?  We are sunburned and armed with our one Salmon; thrilled we have fished one of the world's most famous rivers. We are in Alaska!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment