Saturday, June 2, 2012

Mile Marker Zero

     Greetings everyone!  We are now in Dawson Creek, British Columbia!  Mile marker number zero of the Alcan highway is about 1600 miles from Nebraska and a little under half way to Alaska.  We slept in Whitecourt, Albert last night it was a mini-adventure as three motels we stopped at did not take cash.  Can you believe it they only wanted credit cards or debit cards.  We did not want to use those so we kept going from motel to motel until one owner said "I don't care when we asked if he would take cash", I have taken a couple of pictures, but not nearly as many as I thought.   It is so hard to take pictures with Doug on a mission to get to the next spot on the map each day.  He claims he will start relaxing now...we will see. 
     Overall there could be a straight line drawn in the soil where agriculture ends and logging begins.  It is such a stark contrast, one minute we were traveling through fertile farm country and the next we were in large stands of pines, aspen, and birch.  This morning when the moose cautionary signs seemed to show up with every 50 kilometers or so...we say a cow moose and her calf dead in the median.  I have yet to see a live moose.  Doug has guaranteed me I will see a moose.  I guess if I do not see a moose I get my money back...right. 



     We have passed towns called Buffalo Pound, Fox Creek, Lovering Lake, and Moose Jaw.  I am keeping a log of unique town names to share a few each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment